With the summer upon us, it’s important to remember to hydrate before, during and after our workouts. We have recently reviewed some products that assist in maintaining adequate hydration levels. That review can be found here. Below are some recommendations for maintaining proper hydration during the hot summer months.
Hydration Before Exercise
- Drink about 15-20 fl oz, 2-3 hours before exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz 10-15 min before exercise
Hydration During Exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz every 10-15 min during exercise
- If exercising longer than 90 minutes, drink 8-10 fl oz of a sports drink (with no more than 8 percent carbohydrate) every 15 – 30 minutes.
Hydration After Exercise
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace fluid losses.
- Drink 20-24 fl oz water for every 1 lb lost.
- Consume a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein within the 2 hours after exercise to replenish glycogen stores.
Staying hydrated doesn’t mean just drinking plain water. Here’s a great Lemonade recipe to help replace the electrolytes we lose when we sweat.
Keto Aloe Lemonade (paleo + refined sugar-free)
Author: Leanne Vogel
Recipe type: Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Keto, Paleo, Refined Sugar-free, Soy-free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Prep time: 5 mins Total time: 5 mins
5 cups water (1 cup hot and 4 cups cold)
3 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Erythritol (or other natural sweetener)
¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
½ cup (120 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon NOW® Aloe Vera Liquid Concentrate (optional)
3 ice cubes, for serving
Place hot water in a tall 64 fl oz (1890 ml) glass jug. Add the erythritol, salt and stir until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed. Divide between 3 glasses, add an ice cube to each, and enjoy. Start off with ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan rock salt. As you get accustomed to drinking salt, you may be able to go as high as 1 teaspoon of pink salt in this recipe.